1.3 Specifies the teaching approaches you'll use & the learning environs you'll create to support the social dimensions of early literacy/numeracy
Experience
One of my close friends has a 22 month old daughter (who I will call by the pseudonym of 'Sophie’).
I have the privilege of looking after Sophie once a week and would like to
share with you what I witnessed last week. Sophie is going through a stage
where she loves music and dancing. Her mother told me that her favourite song
is Bastille by Pompeii, and will start dancing every time she hears it. I
decided to use this opportunity to teach Sophie the song ‘Head, shoulders,
knees and toes’ so that she can start to engage in songs by doing the actions.
To my surprise she loved the song and watched me do the actions and after
prompting she was able to follow along with the actions.
I decided to stop the music and just ask her questions
such as “where is your head?” and “where are your shoulders” and she was able
to point to them. It was great to witness her learn this new song and
especially that she loved doing the actions. I was amazed at how quickly she
learned the song and actions and was so excited to share the news with her
mother. I believe that Sophie now has a new favourite song!
It is important for us as early childhood educators to be
aware of the learning and to build skills where we can. I believe that action
songs, especially at such a young age, are a great way to teach literacy and
numeracy skills. Action songs involve movement and coordination while also
connecting emotionally with the music and words and in most cases the whole
body and brain is engaged, which is important for a young child’s development. Action
songs also encourage greater parent-child participation and interaction.
No comments:
Post a Comment