Tuesday, 15 October 2013

Portfolio 3.2 and 1.1

Week 8 – Portfolio

Outcome 
3.2 Shows competence in observing & planning for literacy & numeracy experiences & environs, adapting to specific learner needs, interests & contexts.

1.1 Clearly describes how the concepts are connected to & supported by social relationships & contexts 

For this week’s portfolio I have decided to write about an experience I had on placement.
One day whilst I was on placement, the kindy I am at went on an excursion to go and watch a performance called “The Moon’s a Balloon.” In this performance they use simple white balloons in all manner of sizes and shapes. The performance uses image, music, dance, light and play that engages, delight and inspire young children.

Each child got a little pamphlet of the performance that shows pictures of the different balloons. One particular child was extremely interested in the performance. I suggested to him that he could perhaps create a book once we’re back at the kindy about what he saw and experienced. He was very excited about this idea and created a book full of pictures he has drawn. I asked him to read me his book and explain to me all the pictures. It was very interesting to listen to him explain the different pictures to me; he was even able to remember the order of the different balloons that came on the stage.

To further create a learning experience, I thought I’d plan a numeracy experience. I went to the store room and found a packed of balloons. I worked with the child to blow up a few balloons in different shapes and sizes. Once the balloons were blown up, I got the child to describe to me what shapes and sizes he was seeing.


I really enjoyed doing these learning experiences with this particular child, especially due to the fact that he has not seem to connect with other children. I realized with this particular scenario, there are so many different literacy and numeracy experiences that can be created.  

No comments:

Post a Comment